Full Menu

Parent Resource Center (PRC)

The PRC is a resource and information center for all families, staff and community members. The PRC primarily supports families of students with disabilities and unique learning needs as they work with the school system to identify and meet their child's needs; but all families are welcome to access our supports, resources and services.

Frequently Asked Questions

I suspect my child might have a disability. What should I do?

Anyone who suspects a disability may refer a child to a Student Support Team (SST) meeting to discuss concerns. For school age students, parents who are concerned about their childs academic, social and/or emotional development are encouraged to speak with their childs teacher. Parents who suspect a disability and wish to refer a child to a Student Support Team to discuss concerns and/or request a special education evaluation are encouraged to share their request in writing with their childs teacher and the school’s Student Support Coordinator. To refer children ages two* through five who are not yet 鶹 Public Schools students, contact the 鶹 Public Schools Child Find Office. (*Children need to be two years old by September 30th of the current school year in order to receive services in that school year.) Infants and toddlers with suspected developmental delays should be referred to the .

You can also view our online learning modules which introduce families to the special education process:

What do I need to know if I would like to observe my childs classroom?

Please review the classroom observation guidelines and forms linked below:

I have a question about my child and am not sure who to contact. Who should I call?

In collaborating to address questions and resolve concerns, it is always best when possible to start with your childs teacher, case carrier, or related service provider (if the concern involves a related service).?The charts below provide a recommended communication sequence. Please feel free to contact the Parent Resource Center at 703-228-7239 or prc@apsva.us .

Find your school’s Student Support Coordinator


I am relocating to 鶹, and my child already has an Individualized Education Program (IEP). What steps should I take??

APS provides a continuum of special education supports and services to students with disabilities. The first step in collaborating with your childs new school is to register your child for school. Next, reach out to your childs Student Support Coordinator who can help schedule a meeting to address your childs needs.?Students transferring from outside APS who have a valid eligibility identification and current IEP, as defined by IDEA, are entitled to special education and related services specified or comparable to those in that IEP. The students IDEA identification is accepted by APS and, with parent consent, a 30 day transfer/interim IEP is developed and implemented.?Please contact the Parent Resource Center at prc@apsva.us if you have questions or need support.

What should I know about optional electronic IEP signatures?

Weve recently launched a new feature in Synergy, the system APS uses to manage special education documents. This new feature introduces the option to use electronic signatures, which can make things easier for parents and school staff. Your special education team is not required to seek electronic signatures for participation or consent, nor are you required to provide an electronic signature.

  1. What is the Electronic Signature Option?

You now have the option to sign certain special education documents electronically. This means you can use your computer or phone to sign instead of using pen and paper. But, it’s entirely up to you if you want to use this feature or stick to the traditional way of signing documents.

  1. When Can You Use Electronic Signatures?

Electronic signatures may only be used when you have been informed of your options for providing your signature, and you choose to use the electronic signature feature. Electronic signatures are now available for:

  • Virtual Individualized Education Program (IEP) Meeting Participation
  • IEP Consent
  • Medicaid Consent
  1. How Does it Work?

Participation SignaturesIf the IEP meeting is held in person, everyone will be asked to acknowledge their participation in the meeting by signing a paper copy to document their attendance. If the IEP meeting is online, you’ll be asked if you want to sign electronically or with a written signature on a paper copy. It’s your choice, and you decide how you want to do it.?Consent SignaturesIf you opt to provide an electronic signature, you’ll receive a ParentVUE notification with a link to review the document PDF and provide your signature. Note: You must activate your Parent VUE account to use the electronic signature feature. (You can use this link to learn more about Parent VUE and watch a short video tutorial).

  1. What if I am not ready to sign, or disagree with the IEP?

If you are not ready to sign the IEP, that is ok. Just let your case carrier or Student Support Coordinator know. Once you are ready to provide your consent, let your case carrier know whether you prefer to provide your consent signature on paper or electronically.

  1. What if I need documents translated?If you need documents translated, let your case carrier or Student Support Coordinator know, and they will submit the documents for translation. An electronic consent signature request will not be generated before documents are translated.
  1. What if I receive an electronic signature request by mistake, or if I decide I need more time to sign?

Contact your case carrier or Student Support Coordinator to recall the signature request. (NOTE: If you are using the ParentVUE app, you will be able to navigate ParentVUE if a signature request has been issued. However, If you are accessing ParentVUE via a browser, you will need to switch to the app to access ParentVUE features until the signature request has been recalled.)

  1. What if Electronic Signatures Don’t Work?

If there are any issues with the electronic signature feature during the meeting, or you can’t access it, we’ll make sure you can sign with a pen and paper.??Need Help?If you have any questions about this or need help, you can reach out to your case carrier or Student Support Coordinator.


Here are some visuals to help you navigate electronic signatures through the ParentVUE app or your web browser.

Why am I being asked to sign a Medicaid consent form?

鶹 Public Schools, along with all public school districts in Virginia, has the opportunity to bill the state Medicaid program for partial reimbursement for health-related services (i.e. occupational therapy, physical therapy, speech therapy, etc.) provided to special education students. These services must be documented in the childs Individualized Education Program (IEP) and have parental consent.??Some examples of services include:

  • physical therapy
  • occupational therapy
  • speech/language pathology services
  • skilled nursing services
  • personal care assistants
  • special transportation

The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) provides that children with disabilities be provided with a free appropriate public education. The special education and related services received by the child must be identified as the result of a comprehensive evaluation and described in an individual education plan (IEP). These services are provided free of charge to any special education student.? The students services are not affected by Medicaid parental consent.? Your childs health coverage for services outside the school system will not be impacted by the school billing Medicaid or FAMIS.Billing public insurance for special education services in an important source of funding for public school divisions.? The monies received from Medicaid are used to pay for classroom staff, related services, and materials used in the provision of health related services.? It is beneficial to your childs educational program for the district to access these funds.Please contact APS Medicaid Coordinator Catina Claytor-Frye,703-228-6065, or catina.claytorfrye@apsva.us with questions or concerns.

Parent Consent Letter:


Frequently Asked Questions About Medicaid and School Health Services

Other Information:

?To apply for Medicaid:

  • ???? 2100 Washington Blvd., 鶹, VA 22204703-228-1300
  • ?? 1-855-242-8282

Smiles for Children?is Virginias Medicaid,
FAMIS and FAMIS Plus dental program.

How to find a dentist for individuals with?Smiles for Children:?? 1-888-912-3456

Medicaid and Schools Program:

Get Involved

The 鶹 Special Education PTA (SEPTA) serves students, families and staff across all of 鶹 Public Schools. and

  • facilitates events and resources
  • hosts social events with for special needs families
  • coordinates volunteer parent liaisons at each school
  • supports APS teachers and administrators
  • raises awareness and acceptance of disabilities and special needs
  • hosts social events with for special needs families

The 鶹 Special Education Advisory Committee (ASEAC) provides an opportunity for parents to have a voice in the way APS provides services to students with disabilities. ASEAC

  • Advises APS of the educational needs of students with disabilities
  • Participates in the development of priorities and strategies
  • Submits periodic reports and recommendations to the Superintendent for communication to the School Board
  • Reviews policies and procedures
  • Reviews APSs annual plan submissions to the Virginia Department of Education

Contact Us

Parent Resource Center

2110 Washington Blvd
鶹, VA 22204

Kathleen Donovan
Parent Resource Center Coordinator

Gina DeSalvo
Parent Resource Center Coordinator

Emma Parral
Administrative Assistant

Find Your School's Student Support Coordinator

Find your school/program's volunteer Special Education Parent Liaison

Directions and Parking

Syphax Education Center
Sequoia Plaza 2
2110 Washington Boulevard, Suite 158
鶹, VA 22204

Getting Here

By Bus

  • ART: The ART bus stop is on Uhle St., at the entrance to the Sequoia Plaza complex.
  • ART 42 Ballston – Pentagon
  • ART 45 Columbia Pike-DHS/Sequoia-Rosslyn – (every 30 minutes)
  • ART 77 Shirlington-Lyon Park-Court House

METROBUS: Bus routes to Sequoia (connects with 4 metro stations and Seven Corners):

  • 10A/E – Hunting Towers-Pentagon (every 30 minutes)
  • 10B – Hunting Towers-Ballston (every 30 minutes)
  • 4A/H- Pershing Dr.-鶹 Blvd. (every 30 minutes, except 1 hour between 10-2pm)
  • 16 H, K
  • 16 P
  • 16 Y weekdays only

By Car

As you approach the area from Route 50, Washington Boulevard, and S. Fillmore Street, you may notice blue signs that read “鶹 Human Services Center”.? Please follow those signs, as they will lead you to the 鶹 Department of Human Services Building.? We are right across the courtyard, and share? a parking garage with DHS.

Driving directions from I-395 and I-66

  • From I-395: Exit at Route 27 (Washington Boulevard). Merge onto Washington Boulevard. Proceed north approximately 0.2 mile.? Exit onto 2nd St S. Turn right at S Court House Rd. and take gentle left at intersection. APS’ Syphax Education Center is to the left of the traffic circle, across from the Department of Human Services.
  • From I-66 Heading East: Take exit 72 for US-29/Lee Hwy toward Spout Run Pkwy. Turn right at Lee Hwy/US-29 N. Turn right at N Kirkwood Rd. Turn left at N Washington Blvd. Take the 1st right to stay on N Washington Blvd. Turn right at S Court House Rd. and stay to the right. APS’ Syphax Education Center is to the left of the traffic circle, across from the Department of Human Services.

Driving directions from Glebe Road

  • From South 鶹: Turn right on Columbia Pike. Turn left on Court House Rd. Proceed straight past 2 nd?St. and then take gentle left at intersection. APS’ Syphax Education Center is to the left of the traffic circle, across from the Department of Human Services.
  • From North 鶹: Turn right onto the US-50 E ramp. ?Exit onto S Washington Blvd. toward Pentagon/I-395. Take immediate right at S Court House Rd. APS’ Syphax Education Center is to the left of the traffic circle, across from the Department of Human Services.


  • Free parking in above-ground garage.? Once in the garage, please park on the LL, B1, or B2 levels.?Please note that accessibility ramps and additional accessible parking has been allotted on B1 & B2 to?allow for access to elevators which lead to the ground level of 2110 Building.? Follow the signs for Building 2110, take the elevator to the L (lobby) level, and enter via the silver doors.? The Welcome Center will be to your left, and staff will direct you to the Parent Resource Center. Metered street parking is also available.

Subscribe to the PRC’s Email Updates!

PRC Event notices and updates are sent out through Parent Square.? If you would like to be added to the PRC announcements list, or add us to your Parent Square preferences (/departments/school-community-relations/parentsquare/)

See an archive of School Talk messages

We look forward to connecting with you!